Blog Party

Miss Kellie from Accordion to Kellie is hosting a lovely blog party!
Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
I am 21.5, and I was home schooled from Kindergarten until I graduated high school. I have been taking online college classes for about a year, and I am in my fifth semester. I am at the point when I need to choose a major, but I have no idea which I should choose (the majors I like don't exactly match jobs I want, and the careers I like don't really need a college degree). I am addicted to the Internet but still find time to read. My favorite genres are romantic classics and fantasy. I also enjoy crafts such as hand sewing, knitting, embroidery, and scrap-booking. I recently bought my first camera, a Nikon DSLR D3000, which I have not practiced with enough. I am a mix of Marianne, Lizzie, Emma, and Catherine Morland as far personality and characteristics go. I am trying to start to live completely organically; I have switched almost all my toiletries and makeup to organic brands (I want to start to make some of them myself), and I am working on switching to eating organically. I still need to develop a consistent personal style of which I am proud, but I love fashion anyway. I also love historical fashion.
What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?
A girl with definite moral and personal standards. She knows what is right in her own being and is not unduly influenced by her authority figures or friends. She is dignified and hardworking and well-bred and cultured. She always eventually sees what she has done wrong (even if this is unrealistic) and attempts to make it right.
Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
The first two characters I wish I could be like, the third is one I admire a little, and the last is one I just enjoy as a character.
I want to be like Emily Byrd Starr of the Emily of New Moon trilogy. She is rather like Anne Shirley. I wish I was that gifted, sensitive, and elegant.
Hermione Granger is an admirable character to me (I also have her bossy and sometimes tendencies). She is faithful to her friends through everything, she adores Ron even when there seems to be no hope, and she is a diligent learner of practical and applicable information which she actually uses (unlike many very intelligent "know-it-alls").
I do think Molly Gibson is a push-over, but I admire her tender-hearted nature and unselfishness (except when it causes her to do something rather wrong even though she does not quite know it is wrong). She endures much at the hands of Cynthia and her step-mother, and she suffers alongside the Hamley family in their troubles.
I like Lizzie Bennet for seeing her prejudice when faced with the truth in such an unpleasant way and by such a (to her) repugnant person. I do not like her always; during my second or third reading of Pride and Prejudice her prejudice drove me nuts. I like that she is a heroine who does not allow selfish people to trample her under their feet.
Five of your favorite historical novels?
I will answer this question as historical fiction and not classics. I enjoy most of Rosemary Sutcliff's works (she has two or so that are morally bad-very bad, so be very careful if you look up her books) such as Eagle of the Ninth and Warrior Scarlet. I also enjoyed The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Mara: Daughter of the Nile. (It feels like I should have read more historical fiction than those, but I cannot think of anymore-actually I had to be reminded of these! I really am lacking in this genre).
Out of those five books who is your favorite main character and why?
Do I have to have a favorite? I have favorites (some mainly in comparison to other characters-for example I do not care overmuch for Marguerite) like Esca and Nat and Lord Sheftu and Percy.
Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?
Um, I think Esca and Nat are secondary characters.
If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?
I would travel to Europe. If I had to restrict myself to a few places, I would pick Scotland and Ireland. I would want to visit all the castles and beaches and mountains and historical sites that I could. I would want to find sweet, quaint shops and restaurants. I would want to buy a Claddagh ring with an emerald. I would want to enjoy the accents and hear a couple people speak and sing in Gaelic.
What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?
I simply cannot have one favorite. I adore Celtic culture (which I have been informed is actually several cultures), and those cultures that have developed from it. I enjoy the Regency and Victorian eras with Colonial and Edwardian and the Britain of Rosemary Sutcliff all coming in second (I think).
You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?
I would recite something (part of a Walter Scott narrative poem probably) and blush before I said anything and blush when I started and blush when I stumbled. I would probably be deep crimson. Poise is not my strong point.
If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?
Well, I know I would pick someone from an older time, so that I could wear a lovely dress. I think perhaps I would choose (man, this is hard-I am drawing blanks for all these questions) Anne Shirley, so I could pick prettier styles (and more period correct also I think-they made the movies in the wrong century than the first books were set-it was her sons that fought in WWI after all) than they did in the movies (maybe I could even dye my hair read with henna and pick Anne's true dress colors also something they did not do well in the movies-I enjoy some of the movies, but they were pitiful compared to the books and stole some lines and aspects from Little Women, the book).
What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?
Sometimes it is a need. And when it is a need, the need takes the form of a fine dark chocolate deficiency.
Favorite author(s)?
Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, Frances Burney, Gene Stratton-Porter, L.M.Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Rosemary Sutcliff, N.D. Wilson, and J.K.Rowling.
Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?
Hmm, a camera would fall among essentials probably. My computer and journal would go.
In which century were most of the books you read written?
That is easy. The nineteenth and twentieth (in reverse order with regards to amounts probably).
In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is…
Strong of character like I described the heroine as being. Trustworthy, entirely honest, not sappy, and quite funny...and brave of course.
Describe your ideal dwelling place.
In real life? No, that is too boooring. How about a castle in the mountains and hidden vine covered cottage in the mountains' woods?
Sum up your fashion style in five words.
Classic, romantic, old-fashioned, soft, and elegant. (This is what I want it to be-the most accurate word for my style now is the middle term).
Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name?
Yeah, I cannot think a good one (I mean one that I really want to change) right now, but there should not be so many Catherines in Wuthering Heights...oh and I prefer Flynn to Eugene any day.
In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...
Chauvlin? Voldemort. I am sure there is a better, but I cannot think of one at the moment. Sauron...does he even count?!
Three favorite Non-fiction books?
Well, I don't read many of those, and the ones I have as favorites are sadly shallow. I really like (emphasis on the term like as opposed to favorites-I have got problems) Color Me Beautiful, The Green Beauty Guide (although I have not read this cover to cover), and Good Girls Don't Have to Dress Bad.
Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
I am afraid to say I would most likely spend it on the Internet. If I was good I would read or sew; we shall see if I am better employing my free time (which I won't have any more of than now since I take summer classes) this summer.
Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.
My friends had this wonderful dress up box in which it was our delight to play. They had a darling black hat that I adored. I have tried to find what style hat it was but cannot find anything like it. If a pillbox hat and a certain type of military hat married and had a child, it would be my perfect hat. I think the best way to describe it would be a pillbox hat that had the ends pinched so that is was an oval rather than a circle. Hmm, if you want to read the paragraph as describing my true personality, well then, it must be literal and boring.
Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.
Life for me is pretty boring. In the past year all I can think of is our trip to Chicago (my first time), and my recent acquirement of almost full-time hours at work. No wait, I sold my first three items on etsy; I believe that brought a great deal of excitement.
Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently
I am not a Christian, but my parents and some of my siblings are. It was not a passage exactly that was "convicting" most recently, but a sermon on a section of Job about Job's cruel comforters, and the wounds human tongues can deal out even when the perpetrator is only trying to help. I am dreadfully sharp-tongued.

Labels: ,