Sweet Cornbread

          I am neither a cook nor a baker, but I want to be able to serve a decent meal. I think that if I master one dish at a time it will be easier to develop a decent set of skills. When I tasted this cornbread at a friend's, I asked for the recipe, and I was determined to make it myself because it was simple enough. Weeks later I got around to doing this. I intend to add this to my Pinterest portfolio board which is supposed to encourage me in crafts and skills...unfortunately I only have a few finished projects on it, as I am better at starting a bunch of things than finishing one. Currently I have a great many things started and in various stages.



          Anyway, here is the recipe. The original called for Bisquick so I had to look up a substitute, hence the odd butter amount.

The oven temperature is 350 degrees and the time is about 30" although I think mine could have stood 5" longer.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 T baking powder
4 heaping tablespoons cornmeal (my heaps were so large is was probably more like 8 tablespoons)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 to 2 2/3 sticks of butter melted
2 cups milk
2 eggs

Mix the dry then the liquids and pour into a greased 9x13" pan. I think this would make a nice mix; I prepared the dry ingredients last evening which took all of 5-10." I added the liquids this morning, and it took about 5." I would love to have a bunch of homemade mixes on hand whenever I have my own place.

Labels: ,