Great Expectations

So, um. I read to about the middle of this novel years ago (as in possibly like six; I am ancient, I could read at this level six years ago?!). I put it down because it was my sister's copy, and I was mad at her (that was the reason, I kid you not). I might add that this occurred during the period when I skipped through books before reading them and often consequently instead of reading them; I am a bit (notice the emphasis) better about that now.

I took this novel up again last summer, and I think got half-wayish again. I picked it up in the last month or so and got myself hooked. I really enjoyed it. I may or may not have been imagining Pip and Herbert as they appeared in the newest film/television rendition (I cannot WAIT to see it although I will make myself watch some older versions first, or not).

Oh, Pip. Oh, Herbert.

The patheticness of convict and his story :( (yes, I am using emoticons to describe Dickins, get over it).
Pip's softening towards him. Excellent.

Wemmick, and the Aged. And Walworth sentiments. That needs to be a code phrase, "will you give me your Walworth sentiments at a later period?"

Herbert's perfect, total, self-sacrificing friendship. What he did for his fool of a foppish friend (let us be real about Mr. Spend-money-and-do-nothing)!

I am not the biggest Joe fan (he is the stupidest character, and I cannot abide stupidity when cloaked in goodness). Stupidity ranking starting with the lowest I.Q.: Joe, Orlick, Drummle and the convict.

The Drummle fireside showdown. Hysterical. The Pumblechook saga. Real. I love how even though Dickens is Victorian; his characters don't have to be "above all that"; they can be petty and nice all the same.

I hate Estella. I hate that Pip does not give her up. I prefer the original ending, naturally.
   

Labels: ,