Saturday, July 19, 2014

Liebster Award

I received this nomination months ago, and I am just now writing it, but I think that is okay since I do not like to post too many tags close together.



Thank you, Hamlette of The Edge of the Precipice for nominating me. Here are the rules.

~Thank the blogger that nominated you and link back to their blog.
~Display the award somewhere on your blog.
~List 11 facts about yourself.
~Answer 11 questions chosen by the blogger who nominated you.
~Come up with 11 new questions to ask your nominees.
~Nominate 5-11 blogs that you think deserve the award and who have less than 1,000 followers. You may nominate blogs that have already received the award, but you cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you. Go to their blog and inform them that they've been nominated. I really do not like doing this so I am going to take the cop-out route as I have done before on at least one occasion.

Here are my 11 facts:

1. I graduated college with my B.A. in History this past May.
2. I did not walk in the ceremony, but my sister who also graduated did walk.
3. I still have not received any information regarding my diploma (as of 7/16/2014).
4. I am considering pursuing a M.A. in History online.
5. Even though I have a degree I think self-study is the best option for actual knowledge of history as long as one frequently utilizes scholarly sources (e.g. articles by historians in established journals, monographs by historical scholars written for historians, primary documents, etc.) NOT only home school resources, textbooks or popular histories.
6. I love soooo many crafts. I am probably the best at/most comfortable with knitting.
7. I love to read (of course) and am trying to focus better on reading classics at the moment . . . it is sort of working . . . having film adaptations in view is a great motivator. Fantasy and sweet-homey-old-fashioned stories are my favorite genres, I think (yes, I know I just sort of made up a genre).
8. I do not consider myself a writer even though I have close to 30 posts (at the time of writing this draft) either scheduled or in draft form in Blogger and a writing file on my computer. I think being a writer is more than just having tons to say as an opinionated person (which describes me).
9. My siblings get really annoyed watching movies with me (see above).
10. I have watched less films and T.V. shows than most people I have ever met or whose blogs I have ever read.
11. I mostly watch period dramas (and not near as many as a lot of the bloggers whose blogs I have read), a few popular book-to-movie adaptations, Disney/animated films, and super-hero movies.

Hamlette's Questions:

1.  Who is your favorite poet, and why?
Walter Scott because (1) I am not a poetry person so (2) I have not read reams of poetry, and (3) I enjoyed three of his long (narrative?) poems, Marmion, Lady of the Lake, and The Lay of the Last Minstrel (I am not sure if this was the one I read).

2.  What movie character would you recast if you could?
Ronald Weasley. And many of the adult characters, particularly the older generation's group of awesomeness.

3.  Do you think mice are nice?
Um, I do not want them near me, but I do not much like when animals are killed.

4.  What "universally beloved" fictional character do you not care much for?
Katniss. She is horrible: calculating, clannish, petty, revengeful, and generally amoral (which is really immoral). Hopefully I will have a whole slew of Hunger Games posts sometime this year; this deserves a post of its own!

5.  Do you prefer sci-fi or fantasy?
FANTASY. And no, they are NOT the same (someone in a previous book-club made this sacrilegious comment). Sci-fi is "scientific" and thinking-logical and futuristic (in aura or actuality) while fantasy is historical  seeming (because of magic and mythological elements), romantic, and sensing-feeling.

6.  Have you ever been in a police car?
Yes, I scraped a parked car while trying to park (at the library which is in a general government building which also houses a police station, so I basically had an accident in the police station's parking lot) and so a policeman had to file a report, and it was raining, so I had to sit in the front passenger's seat.

7.  Are there any movies or books you thought you'd hate, and discovered you liked instead?
I would change "hate" to "not want to watch" and then I could answer BBC's Robin Hood television series and the 2012 Nicholas Nickleby.

8.  What's the oldest book you've ever read?
The Old Testament probably. If you do not want to count the Bible, then the Aeneid (I think. I have read pieces of works older than the Aeneid though).

9.  What's the oldest movie you've ever seen?
In a horrible humanities class I had to watch Metropolis which is 1927 German silent film (do not watch or watch at your own risk) and is the earliest film as far as I can remember. The other film I thought of was the 1934 Scarlet Pimpernel.

10.  If you could live in any fictional house/mansion/dwelling, where would you like to live?
Hogwarts would be lovely. I cannot think of another castle in the mountains off the top of my head (was there one in Lady of the Lake or was it just a house?), but one of my own would be nice.

11.  How many books have you read so far in 2014?
As of writing this draft (7/16/14) 40 new reads plus 8 rereads.

My 11 questions for any person who wishes to tag themselves. Please link back if your blog is appropriate

1. Would you study abroad? If so, where and what subject?
2. What book would you read or what movie would you wish to see if the bad elements were removed? Well, they could be for a movie if you owned Clearplay, do not you wish there was something like that for books?
3. Do you have or know anyone who has synesthesia? This post suggested this question.
4. On that note have you read Ultraviolet? Please do not take this as a recommendation particularly as there are issues with the sequel. Research before you read.
6. What types of social media do you use and what others would you consider? Are there any you do not quite understand (Tumblr for me) or think are perfectly useless?
7. Have you taken any Craftsy classes? Would you recommend Craftsy? There are tons of classes that I want to take when I earn the money.
8. Who is your favorite superhero (from the films) and why? Mine is Spider Man of The Amazing Spider Man movies.
9. Narnia, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter book series? I probably should not ask a question that might stymie me . . .
10. Favorite type of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) Earrings for me and then necklaces.
11. Favorite oldie T.V. series? Hogan's Heroes is mine.


2 comments :

  1. Hey Livie,
    If it's alright with you I would love to do the tag,
    This is my blog: http://ramblingsfromaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
    Please let me know if it's ok for me to complete it :)
    ~Miss Evie Brandon

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I love comments. Please be sweet and well-bred! I reserve the right to delete comments that make me uncomfortable.