Natural Beauty: Cowgirl Dirt

I have list of objectionable ingredients from The Green Beauty Guide with which I scrutinized loads of purportedly natural and organic beauty products. To this list I want to add Titanium dioxide. All of my research is stuck on my ill or dead computer for the time being. But I still want to try to check ingredients better.

I ordered a bunch of samples from Cowgirl Dirt a couple months ago (I think I first heard of this company from the Fresh Modesty blog; the name of the company does not appeal to me as I have zero interest in cowgirl stuff or style, and this is probably part of the reason why it took me a while to look into it). I ordered some lip gloss and lip sticks, concealer, cream foundation, and cream eye shadow; the latter three do not make the cut because of the silica. I love being able to choose samples especially since it is so hard to purchase natural products and even though many natural products are only available online, many companies still do not offer samples (except in a random sort of way). I also received my order quite speedily.

With the first order I received a "10% off your next order" coupon (I also did with this order; please let some of the lipsticks work on me!). I finally got around to using it and ordered mascara (brown), eyeliner pencils (black, brown, blue, and purple), a lip liner pencil ("8 Seconds"), lip gloss ("Middleton Passion"), and lipstick and loose eye shadow samples. They mistakenly sent me a sample instead of the full-sized lip gloss, and I emailed them right away (I think this was Thursday), and I received the full-sized lip gloss today, yay for good customer service.

The mascara is nice, not greatly thickening (fairly typical of natural mascaras, I think), but then I do not exactly have a ton of lashes, so it is probably better for them. The eye liners are lighter than the ones I had before (Dr. Hauschka, which now seem more like crayons in comparison). I love the lip gloss applicator; it is much more efficient and less wasteful than the ones with wands you dip into the tube. The eye shadows are nice (I have just tried two so far and only one color works for me, maybe), but I love sparkle (although I probably look better in matte) and these look matte on. However, most/all of the sparkly sources (Fairie Organics, Alima Pure, Willow Tree Minerals) I looked at or use contained Titanium dioxide. No. I am afraid I might just eventually have to make my own eyeshadow . . . after I use up what I have. I have not tried the lip pencil. I liked the matte look of the "Target" lipstick, but the color is wrong for me (I cannot seem to wear a great variety of colors, boo), so yay for samples.

The prices are QUITE reasonable for natural stuff. Most (if not all) natural stuff at this price range is not even close to completely natural. All in all I am pretty satisfied.

Here are some of my products (they are sent in those bags)


Cowgirl Dirt is having a massive sweepstakes event until the end of this month also.

Ingredient lists for these items
Mascara: Water, Candelilla Wax, Organic Beeswax, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate (coconut derived), Aloe Vera, Proprietary Herbal Extract Blend, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Iron Oxide, Mica.
Eye Shadow: Zinc Oxide, Boron Nitride, Mica, Vegetable derived Magnesium Stearate, Certified Organic Vegetable Starch, Pure Pearl Powder, Silk Powder, Certified Organic Neem Extract, Certified Organic Olive Extract, Certified Organic Raspberry Extract, Comfrey derived Allantoin. (May contain: Ultramarines, Mica, Iron Oxides, Tin Oxides). Note: Eye shadow Troubador contains Carmine.  
Mud Slinger Eye Liner Pencil: Organic Jojoba, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Beeswax, Candellila Wax, Iron Oxides, Mica and Vitamin E.
Yeehaw Lip Stick: Certified Organic Castor Oil, Certified Organic Beeswax, Olive Emulsifiers, Avocado Butter, Certified Organic Shea Butter, Certified Organic Coconut Oil, Certified Organic Olive Oil, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Certified Organic Pomegranate Oil, Natural Vitamin E, Stevia Leaf Extract. (May contain 100% Natural Fruit Extracts or Essential Oils of Raspberry, Pomegranate, Sweet Orange & Lime, Iron Oxides, Mica, Zinc Oxide, Carmine, or Manganese Violet). *Note: Secretariat and Cash shades contain Carmine for a portion of their natural coloring.
Bodacious Botanical Lip Gloss: Certified Organic Castor Oil, Certified Organic Beeswax, Organic Coconut Oil, Castor Wax, Natural Stevia Extract, Certified Organic Green Tea Extract, Natural Vitamin E Oil, Certified Organic Rosemary Extract, Certified Organic Pomegranate Extract (+/- Mica, Certified Organic Sweet Orange Essential Oil, Certified Organic Raspberry Extract, Certified Organic Peppermint Oil, Certified Organic Spearmint Oil, Vanilla CO2). *Note: The Udderly Mauve shade contains a small amount of Carmine for natural coloring.
Latigo Lip Liner Pencil: Certified Organic Castor Oil, Castor Wax, Certified Organic Shea Butter, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Avocado Butter, Certified Organic Carnauba Wax, Natural Vitamin E Oil, Triglycerides (coconut oil) (+/- Mica, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine, Manganese Violet). *Note: Outlaw contains the colorant 'carmine' which is not a vegan-friendly ingredient. 

Labels: ,