Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Some More Clothes Mentor Buys and Shrinking Clothes

I love clothes. I work at a clothing store. I get a discount. I buy clothes . . . a lot.


Three purple sweaters. Purple is my favorite color but my winter clothing is blue dominate.


Summer skirt and grey winter skirt.


Four more pairs of Target tights. I love them. Lotion for my raw arms and hands. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer frequently.

Oh, yeah. Only one of those five clothing items fits since I shrank one in the washer and the others need alterations. Ultimately I want to get Craftsy classes on altering, but I have found several library books which I hope will help me until then. My shrunk-and-needs-to-be-blocked-back-to-size stash is growing too. I need to take the time to do my laundry properly. Air-drying is not enough; I need to wash some items in cool water only. Oh, and most (if not all) of the items that have shrunk are silk and/or wool which can be carefully stretched (when soaking wet and over time) back into size and shape. I need blocking boards both for this and my knitting. Cotton shrinking is permanent, I believe. 


3 comments :

  1. I do all of my laundry in cold water because I'm so scared of shrinking things! I usually add a teaspoon or two of ammonia depending on load size to kill germs. I never have enough whites to make a load large enough to be worth washing with bleach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not crazy about chemicals. I think with sickness I would use hydrogen peroxide if that is safe for clothes, but right now I just need to sort so that more dirty, less fragile clothes are the only items washed in warmer water.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I love comments. Please be sweet and well-bred! I reserve the right to delete comments that make me uncomfortable.