Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Alterations

So, I did make a drop-in-the-ocean kind of dent in my alterations pile.

I turned this dress


Into this skirt.



I took the small "bodice" off the skirt. I was just intending to "hem" the ruffle left by the fabric above the elastic shirring, but instead I added elastic after taking out some of the elastic shirring that had come un-sewn. Of course I made the elastic too tight, so it hurt my back/insides/waist, and after months of procrastinating I fixed that, easily of course for all that stalling.

I have more recently produced the below skirt which is also a dress-to-skirt alteration although a bit more complicated and less satisfying since I have to cover this waist treatment with a belt.




 I cut the top off the dress (it was basically a sack), stitched the lining to the skirt (I left an opening on the top for the elastic, but now I realize I should have done it the way instructed for the below skirt), and sewed below that seam to make a casing.

Then I altered a skirt that I had made. I took about 20" out of it, and it is much more flattering now. I do not know if I ever posted about this skirt or not, but here is the tutorial. Imagine the possibilities! Airy silk, long maxi, pouf-y velvet.





1 comment :

  1. I love altering dresses into skirts! There are so many more outfit possibilities when you can wear so many different tops! I did a recent post on some of the alterations I've done like this over the years from my ever growing pile!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I love comments. Please be sweet and well-bred! I reserve the right to delete comments that make me uncomfortable.