Bookish Tag

I love blog parties about books and period drama. Join this one here and be sure to read one of the interviews such as this one.

1. What was the last book you read, and would you recommend it?
The last book I finished was The Pickwick Papers, and I recommend it if you like Dickens and British humor. I took awhile to warm up to it, but I really ended up enjoying it.
2. Describe the perfect reading spot.
Somewhere quiet and seclude where I can curl up comfortably and spine-wreckingly.
3. Favorite book beverage? Tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate? Tears of your readers?
Whole milk.
4. Share favorite quotes from four books.
I have a quote book, but I only recently started, so I have many more loves in quotes. Also, my humorous to serious collection is a bit skewed.
" 'Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life.' " Henry IV, part I
" 'I feel," said Harriet, maliciously, 'as if we had just been married at St. George's, Hanover Square.' 
'No, you don't,' retorted Wimsey, 'If we had, you would be trembling like a fluttered partridge. Being married to me is a tremendous experienceyou've no idea.' " Have His Carcase
" 'It has been agreed,' said Mrs. Selwyn, looking around her with the utmost contempt, 'that no man ought to be connected with a woman whose understanding is superior to his own. Now I very mujch fear, that to accomodate all this good company, according to such a rule, would be utterly impracticable, unless we should chose subjects from Swift's hospital of idiots." Evelina
"It was one of the most exasperating attributes of Bounderby, that he not only sang his own praises but stimulated other men to sing them." Hard Times
5. What is your most loved fantasy read? Dystopia? Contemporary? Sci-fi? Classic?
Well, I am kind of on a Dickens binge right now. The Lunar Chronicles are my favorite Sci-fi although I also like Ultraviolet and Quicksilver (which are better written). I do not really care for dystopias and the series I think is most well-written I cannot recommend and the series I can recommend is HORRIFIC quality. I will stick with the status-quo The Hunger Games. Bleh. Set it contemporary times? I will go with a middle-grade, A Snicker of Magic for now. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres, so I am allowing myself to pick 3: The Faerie Rebels, The 100 Cupboards Trilogy, Harry Potter, and Narnia . . . oh, . . . wait.
6. List three authors you’ve collected the most books from.
Jane Austen, Shakespeare (do plays count?), R.J. Anderson.
7. What are your thoughts on magic in literature?
I love it when it is well done and clearly differentiates between good and evil. I think the occult is a TYPE of magic and one which I do not approve of if it is treated as good.
8. What types of book covers capture your imagination most strongly? Feel free to include images.
Darling middle grade illustrated covers. Fantasy covers. The new L.M. Montgomery covers.
9. Mention the first book character that comes to mind. Elaborate on this.
Mr. Pickwick . . . because I just read The Pickwick Papers and he was the main character . . . I thought he received too much focus; I would have preferred more on the others, my favorite, Mr. Snodgrass received the least attention.
10. Do you lend out your books? Or is that the equivalent to giving away your babies?
My reaction is (internally at least) along the lines of, "Heard of the library?!" I always have tons of books from the library and only buy books I now I love.

Labels: