Scarlet Pimpernel Tag

Join in the fun here

1. The obvious question... how'd you get introduced to the Scarlet Pimpernel?
I think I first read it for a church book club. My sister had Dad order ALL the books (quite an assortment of covers and conditions) all of which she read; I was not that thorough.

2.  If you could meet any of the characters in real life, who would you choose and why? (you can use the obvious answer of Sir Percy if you really want to, but this is your chance to get creative. ;))
Besides Sir Percy, Armand (from The Scarlet Pimpernel; he changes age and personality from that book to become a total sap in El Dorado). And after Armand, Tony also from the first book (he too also changes from interesting to sappy between books).

3.  What are your top 3 favorite quotes from the books or movies? (yes, just three)
1980's Movie
Sir Percy: "My dear chap, I never would have dreamt of depriving you of your moment of triumph. Alas, a moment was all I could spare."

Countess de Tournay: "God bless the Scarlet Pimpernel, whoever he may be. Surely he must be an angel in disguise." 
Sir Percy: "Amen." Okay, so I think this for Percy, tone, and facial expression.

Sir Percy: "They seek him here. They seek him there. Those Frenchies seek him everywhere. Is he in Heaven? Or is he in Hell? That damned, elusive, pimpernel." Again, the beauty of the thing is Percy's ridiculousness.


4. Who is your favorite supporting character in the books? (Percy and Marguerite are ineligible)
I am going to cheat and use the movie character of Tony.

5. Which film versions have you seen and which do you like best?
1934 and the 1980s one. The 80's one of course. I feel vaguely as if I might have seen another with a Percy who was not really. I think it was another older one; I am pretty sure that I have not seen the 90's one . . . I think.

6. What's your top-absolute-favorite scene in the first book? (if you've read it-- if not, what's your favorite scene in whichever movie you prefer?)
I have not read the books in years, so I will use the movie. Um, anything with Percy being goofy. But I love the end scene when Percy reappears from "the dead" and taunts Chauvlin.

7. If you could dream-cast a new adaptation of the book (a period piece, that is) who would you choose to play the roles of Sir Percy, Marguerite and Chauvelin?
Tom Hiddleston, the girl from The 100 Foot Journey, and Jason Isaacs (if he can do a good French accent.

8. Do you think the Scarlet Pimpernel does his rescue work purely for "the love of sport," as the narrative would tell us (and as he would often claim) or does he have more noble motives that he won't admit?  Explain your answer.  Show your work.
Of course not. He works far too hard, and he choose to keep his anonymity rather than fame. And I am sure I could come up with more reasons when I (hopefully soon) reread the book (I think it is on my rereads list).

9.  Second to Chauvelin, who is the worst villain in the book series, and why?
I do not remember others, sorry.

10.  What's your favorite novel in the series (if you've read more than one)?  If not, which one are you most excited to read?
El Dorado (I have not read them all; my sister loves the prequels which are on my to-read list). I like increasing in this order (and recommend first-timers read in said order, so that they build up to the best) The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Elusive Pimpernel, and El Dorado. FYI, the 1980's movie is a blend of The Scarlet Pimpernel and El Dorado and is more like the latter, I think.

11.  If you could change one thing about your favorite version of the movie, what would it be?
I think Chauvelin is rather pathetic. He is not the clever, calm, superior villain of the book; he needs to be Percy's equal, so his defeat would be more glorious.

12.  Lastly... how would you convince a skeptical friend to read/watch TSP?  What is it that you love about it?
I do not know. My brother (Mr. Action, modernity, sports, scorning nerds, kind-of-jock, engineer geek) watched it and liked it and asks to watch it again. We count this towards his culture list.

Labels: ,