Some Movies We Have Watched Over the Past Few Months

Okay, so the title is probably going to be longer than the post . . .

We watched the Disney animal animated Robin Hood which was cute for about 30" and then I was bored, especially because I kept thinking about the BBC's Robin Hood.

We rewatched The Emperor's New Groove for the first time (for me) in like a decade. Again, I did not find it uproariously funny. Kinda funny, but a little tedious also. I have started to label certain types of humor as funny-for-those-who-like-Princess-Bride. Like, most of the Studio C sketches; do not get me wrong, some are hilarious, but most fit the above category or the wow, this is gross/embarrassing categories.

We watched How to Train Your Dragon 1 and 2. Cute, sweet, a teeny bit funny but sorry, missing the "awww" and "wow" and "dying of laughter here" factors for me.

We bought Cinderella the day it came out on DVD. That movie is precious.

The Legend of the Guardians. Um, how did I not know Chris Pine voiced Jack Frost until we watched it?! Pretty cute, a little funny but not awing. Still need to see a few more Disney/Pixar or similar type movies (Inside Out, Epic, Megamind, and perhaps Big Hero 6 and Brave). Some rewatches are in order too.

Wedding Daze. A really goof Hallmark movie with a hilarious dad. Gearing up for the Christmas season. I hope there is at least one gem this time around.

Avengers: Age of Ultron. I did not like the first Avengers movie. This one was FAR less tacky (while still majorly tacky) BUT blasphemous and mocking of Judeo-Christian worldview and wow, is Stark vulgar. Yeah, there were a few more suggestive/vulgar episodes. It was also kind of hilarious how they all pretended to care for civilians after all the "collateral" damage of the previous films because they all had to be in cities (I wonder if this "caring" was a reaction criticism of the other films). Also, it felt like they were (until the end) only selectively saving civilians. There is a reason why the Pentagon is not right in the center of D.C. I feel like the Captain America, Avengers, and Iron Man movies are far too melodramatic for their time frame. I am a Thor and Amazing Spider Man girl. They are sweeter with less vulgarity and tackiness while still containing humor.

The Phantom of the Opera. I loved Christine and Raoul's voices. But when the Phantom is horrible, the overall feel is rather pathetic. I watched this with my little sister and kept saying things like, "Wait until you hear the 25th anniversary version." The movie did have more from the book though like the visiting of the cemetary although I think they added in the fight between Raoul and the Phantom. Also, I feel like Christine was portrayed as being more "in love" with the Phantom than in either the book or theatre versions. There were other added details as well. Oh, yeah, and Ciarán Hinds starred in it as well.

Speaking of embarrassing celebrity "singers" some of my sisters and I started re-watching Les Misérables. We did not finish. I want to try a theatre version. but I do not think I will like it as much as The Phantom; I do not think that the musical is as good overall.

Labels: