Bridemaid Hairstyle

I originally wanted a cross between Hermione's Yule Ball hairstyle . . .


. . . and Lucy Steele's hairstyle in the 2008 Sense and Sensibility.


But (decisions, decisions) . . .


I switched to wanting a complete updo after a sister mentioned that she thought that would be better, and the above photo was my inspiration. 

I had a bit more indecision but went with complete updo. However, I ended up with more structure than the above photo. I think looser, more romantic hairstyles are harder because unless you are very careful and gifted, they ended up looking sloppy. One day I want to master the romantic look.

I watched and rewatched Youtube tutorials before the wedding and during prep. Here are some of them: here and here (I used a couple from the second channel).


The first one I really liked, but I really needed more techniques and help. So this ended up being more an inspiration. I used my silver floral bobby pins, two in each side of my hair (with one leaf end up and the other down, so it looked more like one piece), like the hair piece in this video.


I put a little bit of my center back hair in a small bun former and then smoothed a couple locks over it for a form like the above Youtube hairstylist shows. I also needed to loop my curls into more than one barrel curl, and I tease and sprayed some curls a bit, so that the curls would not slip over. I tried to minimize the hairspray though since it makes my hair frizzy.

Overall (and in hindsight), I found this a fun learning experience. I would like to try it more often . . . under less pressure (although I was rather preternaturally "calm" for most of the wedding day).

Labels: , ,