Laura Ingalls Wilder Blog Party

I came upon this blog party, and decided to join because I just read Rose Wilder Lane: Her Story (a less-fictionalized, but still fictionalized, version of the last book or so of the Rose series and the years after). 

1. How did you discover Little House?
I grew up hearing my Mom read them to me. I was a little pioneer girl. Mom made or helped me make a pink sunbonnet from The Little House Sewing Book, and I had a dress or two that were my pioneer dresses. This was also the period of the Oregon trail computer game. I also wore my hair in two braid much of this time although how much The Little House series influenced that I do not know.

2. Which Little House series have you read? Which are you favorite? (Laura, Martha, Rose, etc.)

I enjoyed the Martha, Charlotte, and Caroline ones (I am still so disappointed the first two series did not get finished). Granted, the writing quality of the first two mentioned is much lower, but I felt the stories were more interesting.

3. Have you read any "extra" Little House books? (non "canon", cookbooks, song books, craft books, little kid books, etc.)

Our library had the sewing book (not the craft book), which I think the (inferior) craft book replaced. I would like to get my hands on a copy. I made several of the sunbonnets, part of the braided "rug," and my sister made the lace-edged handkerchief (I might have also, I do not quite remember). I loved hearing the descriptions of the fabrics (particularly the calico) and the dresses sewed in the books and seeing the dresses on the covers. Early examples of my love of fabric and fiber.

4. Have you read any biographies/autobiographies about Laura or any of the Little House girls?

Other than the first mentioned book, no, but I would like to read some this year (I am trying to make this year my break into a steady non-fiction diet).

5. If you could be in any character's place, who would you choose and why?

Probably Martha's. I mean a Scottish Laird's daughter?!

6. What's your favorite Little House ship? (AKA couple)

I have to say Martha and Lewis, I think. 

7. What's your favorite Little House book? Cover?

I will stick with the original series. These Happy Golden Years for the book. I like that cover, but I also like the covers of On the Banks of Plum Creek and Little Town on the Prairie.

8. If you could invite any secondary character from any of the Little House books over for dinner, who would you choose and why?

Paul, in order to ask what happened to his life after that horrible Rose ruined it.

9. Have you watched the Little House TV show? If so, do you enjoy it?

A long, long time ago. Yes, to a certain extent, but I think even then the inaccuracies bothered me.

10. If you could watch a YouTube miniseries on any Little House book or series, which would you choose and how would the basic plot go?

Martha's or Laura's story would be the most interesting. I think the plot could be the same but condensed.

Labels: