April Culture Challenge

I have missed 3 months of this challenge. I aiming at completing April's challenge and possibly January's as well.

April's challenge is to read a Pulitzer prize winner. I have previously looked through the fiction Pulitzer prize winners and noted nothing enticing and much to revolt. I picked The Yearling for my 2015 challenge . . . and did not read it. For this challenge I decided I would look through the other categories . . . which meant I started and stopped with history. Anyway, I do need some history for my 2016 nonfiction reading challenge.

My choice is What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe.

This should work well with Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer (recommended by two people, one of whom knows many interesting details of history), which I intend to start soon, and Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present edited by Peter Nabokov to help inspire me to learn more of my own country. I hope to finish this book, which was lent to me, today. The book is two decades old and includes some less than helpful (as seen in title) sections, but I have never read anything like this comprehensive Native American perspective. I would like to pursue more research into this subject, including modern day issues.

If I can I want to watch The 39 Steps and Henry V from the Criterion collection. The former is also listed on both these U.S. and U.K. top 100 films, and the latter on the U.K. alone. I have been considering re-reading Henry V, so I might make that happen.

Labels: ,