Favorite Authors Revisited: L. M. Montgomery

Starting with Blue Castle last year and continuing with Jane of Lantern Hill, A Tangled Web, and Magic for Marigold this year, I have been reading several of Montgomery's usually later (compared to most of the Anne books), stand alone novels. My sisters have read or are reading them too, and we are enjoying them mightily. I feel like these are better written.

I am also re-reading the Anne novels which I love but I can definitely see an improvement in her writing. I need to read The Blythes Are Quoted (apparently the full version of another book The Road to Yesterday), The Golden Road and the rest of her short story collections.

The first Anne books were written with a year between, then there was a gap of 6 years after which four books were published every two years, then finally two more 15 and 18 years later. Most of her other novels were published between Rilla of Ingleside and Anne of Ingleside. This is the order of publications with the chronological order numbered.

1. Anne of Green Gables 
2. Anne of Avonlea
3. Anne of the Island
5. Anne's House of Dreams
7. Rainbow Valley
8. Rilla of Ingleside
4. Anne of Windy Poplars
6. Anne of Ingleside




Hopefully, today I am leaving on a cross-country road trip, so I should have plenty of posts from that.