How to Steal a Million (1966)

This post contains SPOILERS.

************


With my accent I have trouble pronouncing "steal" so near to "million" in the same sentence. I want to say, "How to Still a Million." I was somewhat confused as to how I was supposed to pronounce "million." I normally pronounce "steal" as "stEEl" and "million" as "millyen." If you pronounce these differently I would love to know how. I love English dialects, accents, word choices, and language patterns.


I loved this movie. The plot is simple and ridiculous and paired with the personalities and tones makes for a sweet and hilarious romantic comedy. I am just not good at describing it, it is just simply delicious. I don't normally like ridiculous (you know, anything in The Princess Bride line as far as humor or absurd melodrama, e,g, YA romance), but this plot paired with deadpan sarcasm and general wittiness is de-light-ful.

Simon McDermott (O'Toole) is soooo funny (and handsome). I think the chemistry and interaction between Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn perfect and perfectly hilarious. The whole movie is brilliantly quotable as I noticed when reading through a quote list (and the list didn't include everything), too bad I am not a good quoter. And I mean tons of pithy exchanges. But it isn't just the lines, the timing, facial expressions, circumstances, everything makes it so funny.

Watch it. If you have Amazon Prime, Prime video currently offers it free as of 8/23.



Labels: