Christmas Movies and Books

In addition to watching Hallmark movies (more on that later), we re-watched a lot of childhood favorites plus some old classics. I've seen all of these before (although A Charlie Brown Christmas only once and didn't remember it well) except Polar Express. I had few more new to us movies from the library but couldn't motivate anyone to watch them with me before they were due back.

Christmas Sing Along. I hardly paid attention once I realized it wasn't the one I thought.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Sing Along. I enjoyed this; its quite short to an adult. I thought it lasted forever as a child.

Polar Express. We didn't even finish this as we were so bored. It was both weird and boring. I'm not ever sure I've been that bored.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Frosty. As cute as always.

Its a Wonderful Life. I liked it better this time around, but I still don't greatly enjoy it, especially as a Christmas movie since it has SO much angst.

White Christmas. Still waiting on Holiday Inn from the library. I'm thinking I will still prefer White Christmas.

Hallmark was rather a disappointment this year. We only had the second channel temporarily, so we didn't get to see to many old favorites (they've seemingly moved most of them over to that channel). And most of the movies didn't get a super high rating from us except A Perfect Christmas. A Nutcracker Christmas, Christmas Cookies, and Finding Father Christmas were cute in my opinion (the latter is on the second channel) but nothing like our favorites.

I didn't do much Christmas reading because I ordered so late. I read Christmas with Anne, marking down food references: turkey, plum pudding, and mince pie featured in almost all the stories, and nuts, candies, taffy, and fruitcake made a couple appearances and raisin pudding at least one appearances. This seems so 19th century and British and Canadian. Only fruitcake is familiar to me (in name, we don't usually have it). We have turkey at Thanksgiving and ham or beef at Christmas and Christmas Eve.

I read one prosy, sententious story from Christmas from the Heart three. I haven't been inspired to read more. I have Letters from Father Christmas from the library now, but I might just wait until next year.







Labels: