Literary Journey via Literary References in Little Women: Books

Since many of these novels are well-known, I've only included the author on lesser-known titles. I cannot vouch for these works; I just thought a list would be fun to compile of these references. I've made bold the titles I've read.

How many have you read?

~A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott (I read this ages ago, at least I think I read it in full; it isn't as scandalous as implied by many, just for her audience at the time; I have, however come across her "Jo March is rebuked by Professor Bhaer writings" which are scandalous)
~Corinne by Madame de Staël
~David Copperfield
~Dombey and Son
~Don Quixote
~Evelina by Frances Burney (this is the least sappy of the three Burney novels I've read and the one I have hitherto decide to keep; the other two I've read are Camilla and Cecilia)
~Heir of Redclyffe
~Ivanhoe
~Kenilworth
~Little Dorrit
~Mable on a Midsummer Day by Mary Howitt
~Martin Chuzzlewit
~Nicholas Nickleby
~Odyssey (Telemachus is specifically mentioned)
~Old Man and the Sea
~Oliver Twist
~Patronage by Maria Edgeworth
~Pilgrim’s Progress (Dad read this aloud to us, but I'm not counting that)
~Rasselas by Samuel Johnston
~Tailor Retailored or Sartur Resartus by Thomas Carlyle
~The Bible
~The Flirtations of Captain Cavendish (probably Cavendish, or the Patrician at Sea by William Johnson Neale according to this blog)
~The Life of Samuel Johnson James Boswell
~The Wide, Wide World by Susan Warner under the pseudonym Elizabeth Wetherell
~Tom Brown’s School Days by Thomas Hughs
~Uncle Tom’s Cabin
~Undine and Sintram stories by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué
~Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith

Labels: