Stop and Smell the Wildflowers

I like to have fresh flowers, and I’ve quite a collection of small vases and cute spice jars (that I picked up from an antique place). I had an idea to clear off my chest and line a row of spice jars across the top. Our yard has but an indifferent selection of flowers (I want to rectify this if I can), so I decided to scavenge weeds wildflowers. I need to get outside more. I noticed lots of different flowers and wondered what they were, so after I gathered them, I did some research. This site is what I focused on with help from my memory and other sites. We had quite a variety of flowers, but I’ve identified the most interesting/least weedy. Also, I came across interesting terms like raceme and umbel to describe flower clusters. I managed to press a few samples, and eventually I would like to watercolor next to the samples.

~Miami Mist or Scorpionweed, Waterleaf family. This flower’s funny fused head with its fake “petals” is what got me started. The flower just pops off the stem like a silk flower which I just found rather hilarious.

~Star of Bethlehem (not False Garlic, which has umbels while Star of Bethlehem has racemes, I think?!). This look most like a “real” cultivated plant.

~Striped Violet, has bearded petals. Apparently white violets come in a great many varieties.

~Common Blue Violet.

~Philadelphia Fleabane.

~Chicory (aster family).

~Multiflora Rose. These smelled lovely. But apparently, this is an invasive species.

~A form of honeysuckle. Bush, I think which is also an invasive species. Oh, well its beautiful anyway.


Labels: , , ,