Autumn Music and Mood

I'm not that into music. I listen in the car to block out silence (and I almost NEVER here music on the radio that I like much less love), but I usually prefer silence otherwise. And I have a hard time finding music that I love. And sometimes I love some music sometimes and sometimes I don't love it.

I pulled out a flute/harp duet c.d (very Irish/Celtic sounding) because I thought of it and wanted to make sure I hadn't misplaced it. That got me to thinking how seasonally appropriate it was. And then I thought about autumn music. And what I think fits fall. Contemplative, sentimental, spooky, sorrowful, haunting. I love the season of fall but a lot of what fits the autumn mood is a bit too depressing for me.* This c.d. is a not always what I need even though it is so beautiful. And scary books? Yeah, I'll do Agatha Christie . . . and fall Hallmark.

I'm more into pretty fall colors, the actual change of the season, bonfires, and yummy fall food involving pumpkin, molasses, and spices. But I still think I need a touch of the spooky for it to really fall. And I find it fun to dress up for Halloween (again, not scary, just dress-up).

Anyway. I tried to think up some other good music that fits my description.
"River Flows in You"
Enya
LOTR** soundtrack. Especially Rohan themes.
Celtic
Folk songs
The Hanging Tree


*I may have mentioned this before. I know a lot of people joke around about the U.S. term (and the Pinterest quotes are funny), but I have a Latin dictionary and also looked on Whitaker's words, and "autumnus/i" means . . . wait for it . . . autumn. I even looked in my massive Webster's dictionary for some hint as to a deeper etymology. Other than finding out the origin is possibly Etruscan, nothing. So its an old word for the season. Yeah. I love learning, but I despise pedantry and sophistry. Rant over.

**I love the artistry of these movies, and I think the music is probably one of my favorite parts, but I have a hard time enjoying the story anymore. I'm really not into epics or really action movies (using that description quite broadly). And some parts in these movies are hysterical (where they aren't supposed to be). I'm not the dramatic teenager anymore, and apparently, I'm the hardened skeptic who takes nothing seriously, lol.

Labels: ,