How I Became Interested in Green Beauty

I remember playing with child make-up sets as a child. Travelgirl and I took ballet as kids, and we had to wear makeup for performances. Mom let us wear some Mary Kay lip-gloss and natural lipstick on occasion, but other than that we weren't allowed to wear make-up (not that we asked, why buy makeup when you could buy other things?). I don't remember ever particularly longing to do so.

However, I developed moderate acne, and when I got my first job at 19, I started considering natural products to heal it. When I visited a local health food store, I noticed that the store had some mineral make-up on major sale. I bought loose powder eyeshadow and mascara then. I learned through trial and error, Pinterest, YouTube, etc. I look better in neutrals on my eyes.

I took longer finding cosmetics for my skin because the plain powder doesn't work well on me, most concealers were too thin, and I really don't care for stuff on my actual face. I was more hit and miss on face cosmetics until I started wearing Cowgirl Dirt, but more products are available now, and I am going to branch out again.

Green Beauty doesn't have uniforms standards, and I tried to look at ingredients based on guidelines from The Green Beauty Guide and buy brands on a strict list I found on the Internet. My main source was Saffron Rouge which has since gone out of business. More recently I've purchased from Cowgirl Dirt and Pharmaca (they carry a lot of green beauty brands including Juice Beauty and Dr. Hauschka and have great deals).

I've bought at least one product from these brands: Dr. Hauschka (multiple, I still use), Cowgirl Dirt (good far more green than most budget items), Juice Beauty (they've greatly expanded their offerings, but I don't know if they've fixed the major issue with their mascara bottle that causes extreme waste of product and mess of application), Nvey Eco, Ilia, Inika, Lavera (I think, it might have been another L name), Honeybee Gardens, Mineral Fusion, Zuzu Luxe, Vapour (I sent back, but I'd probably try again; I should have gotten samples), Suki, EllaRoseMinerals (on Etsy), Alima Pure, Root Pretty, Jane Iredale.

I have tons more products bookmarked to try, and I like hearing about new Green Beauty brands. If you like green beauty product what first sparked your interest? Do you have brand favorites or do you like to try new products and brands like me?

Labels: ,