Top Ten Tuesay: Back to School Suggestions

I'm linking up at The Broke and the Bookish again.

I'm going to split my list, some classics, some historical fiction

I'm going to pick classic novels that I hadn't heard much or anything about until I entered the blogosphere or until I read the more popular ones by the author. I found the stories and writing style of Eliot interesting in her long novels (but not her novellas), and I preferred Charlotte Brontë's more mature style in her less famous works. And the less famous Anne has an interesting novel that is as gothic as Emily's in a different way. 

Classics (high school)

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot
2. Adam Bede by George Eliot
3. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
4. Shirley Charlotte Brontë 
5. The Professor by Charlotte Brontë 
6. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë 

Historical Fiction (middle and high school)

7. Jip, His Story by Katherine Patterson (I love her writing and this story ranks with Jacob Have I Loved and Bridge to Terebithia in quality of plot and writing)
8. Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
9. Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
10. The entire Eagle of the Ninth series by Rosemary Sutcliff (except the adult crossover with King Arthur novel Sword at Sunset which is inappropriate for children plus doesn't fit in with the rest of the series well). This series traces a family line through the various periods, cultures, and people groups of Britain starting with a Roman Italian who marries a woman from what is now Wales all the way to a family in a Viking stronghold in the time of the Normans. 

The Eagle of the Ninth 
The Silver Branch 
Frontier Wolf
The Lantern Bearers 
Dawn Wind 
Sword Song 
The Shield Ring

Labels: , ,